Why is guppy fish the best tropical fish species for aquarium fanatics?
- This freshwater aquarium fish is easy to care for which makes it popular in the hobby.
- It is satisfying to watch them because of their peaceful behavior.
- They have a wide variety of colors.
- Guppy fishes can get along with other fish species.
- They can be bought at an affordable price.
How often do guppies need to eat?
Feed the guppies no more than they can eat. A pinch of food in the morning and another pinch at night will do. Unconsumed fish food will foul the water which is toxic to fishes.
Did you know that some aquarists say that guppy fishes can withstand a week without food? When I had a vacation, i missed feeding them for 3 days and when I got back home, they still looked okay.
Guppies don’t require a lot of care. They are omnivore (can take meat and plants as food). These lovely and colorful fishes can take almost anything. Proper diet is the key. It is best to provide them a variety such as fish flakes, algae wafer or pellet, sinking pellet, hard-boiled egg yolk, and baby brine shrimp.
The following can also be food for guppy fishes but make sure that these are clean and not contaminated if you do not want your precious guppies to be in danger:
- Mosquito larvae
- Blood worm
- White worm
- Grindal worm
Guppies mature in 3 weeks or less. An adult female guppy can reproduce every month. Provided with good environment condition, especially in the wild, they can live up to 2 years. You can have several guppy generations for couple of years with proper care.
Expect to have live babies from a female laying 20 up to 60 fries every 30 days. Cool, isn’t it? It is better to be mindful of the capacity of the tank because once it becomes overly populated, the environment (water) quality will no longer be good for the inhabitants.
Guppy fish can have tank mates such as:
- Molly : ballon molly, sailfin molly, black molly
- Platy, swordtail
- Bleeding heart tetra
- Neon tetra
- Black widow tetra
- Zebra danio
It is better to only introduce other fish species that meet the following:
- similar size and temper
- prefer the same water parameters, tank size, and diet
Common mistakes :
- Guppies are slow swimmers. They can be easy target for aggressive fish. Never introduce these species in your tank with guppies to prevent their fins and tails from nipping:
- Betta fish
- Tiger barb
- Do not overfeed fish. Guppies never stop eating. When they get bloated, overfeeding can kill them. Why? Most common reason is the food that was not consumed at all rots and becomes toxic to fish.
- If you prefer to keep only a certain strain or color, it is better to house only those with the same color. In this way, you can preserve the strain. Crossbreeding is very common in guppy species.
Video courtesy by Robert Höck via Youtube
Try obtaining one of the coolest freshwater aquariums. Taking care of guppy fish is easy and low maintenance. Imagine, you can have new guppies every month. You will soon be needing a lot of aquariums if you wanted to keep them. On the other hand, you can give your close friends guppy gifts or sell them for profit. Guppy is one of the best and you can have your preferred breed with desired set of colors. Happy fish keeping!